Laos Travel Alert
07/01/2016: International Travel Alerts
The Department of State alerts U.S. citizens to the risks of travel in parts of Laos because the security situation remains unstable.
Reports of violence, combined with the Lao government’s use of security escort vehicles for its official travelers in these areas, have prompted the U.S. Embassy in Vientiane to continue its restrictions on Embassy personnel traveling in specified areas. This replaces the Travel Alert issued on March 30, 2016, and expires on September 30, 2016.
The U.S. Embassy in Vientiane continues to restrict Embassy staff from travel in the following areas:
- Road 13 from Km 220 north of Kasi in Vientiane Province to Km 270 at the Phou Khoun junction in Luang Prabang Province
- The “new road” from the Kasi junction to the Road 4 junction between Luang Prabang and Vang Vieng
- All of Xaisomboun Province
The Embassy continues to permits personnel to:
- Travel between Vientiane and Vang Vieng on Road 13
- Travel northward from Luang Prabang
- Travel by air to Luang Prabang
U.S. citizens traveling to or residing in Laos should take precautions, remain vigilant about their personal security, and be alert to local security developments.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Laos, located at Thadeua Road Km 9, Ban Somvang Tai, Hatsayfong District, at +856-21-48-7000, 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. weekdays, excluding U.S. and Lao holidays. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is also +856-21-48-7000. Non-emergency services are provided by appointment only.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.